Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's day post


Fall break my freshman year of college - my mom wanted to take a bunch of family pictures and after the  millionth one I started contorting my face into horrible grimaces so she would stop.

Even though Dr. Dad and I rarely, rarely see eye-to-eye (I've come to appreciate that we have the exact same personality traits. Which is cool, but can make us really incompatible sometimes.) I kind of look up to him. He is sort of a bad ass.

Dr. Dad was the first person in his family to go to college - and not just any college, but one of the top fancy private colleges in the nation. Top fancy private college was pretty tough, but Dr. Dad continued to pursue his goal of becoming a doctor. (Thus the Dr. Dad in his title)

When Dr. Dad started applying to med schools, an interviewer sneered at him and told him that he would never become a doctor and he should choose a different career.

Talk about an awkward situation. What did Dr. Dad do after this potentially soul-crushing declaration?



Dr. Dad invited the jerk interviewer to his med school graduation a couple years later.


Dr. Dad retold this story to me when I got into fancy London drama school and couldn't afford it. I had a huge what-am-I-doing-with-my-life meltdown. The guy who was told to pick a different career is now ranked on the "Best Doctors in America" list as one of the top in his field.

Never, never, never give up on your dreams.

Happy father's day.

3 comments:

LOVE JOICE said...

Hi, such a sweet picture! thank you for your comment! xx Joice

Melissa Blake said...

what a sweet post! you have a lovely blog!

Mariel Villanueva said...

What a beautiful post! Your dad is extraordinary....!